Last night I arrived in Curitiba, where I have two goals: attending the conference on innovative cities and scouting for venues, resources and people to involve for a couple events I’ll run here this October.
Brazil’s motto, which you can read on their flag, is Order and Progress, and Curitiba is one of the big examples of recent progress. Over the last 30 years, this city has reinvented itself on many levels.
Curitiba’s famous ex-mayor Jaime Lerner keynotes the conference, which looks like it’ll cover a wide range of issues that cities face, with emphasis on how they’re solving problems creatively. There’s sub-conference on social networks, at which I’ll do a 15-minute TED-style talk on Friday morning.
As to the events I’m running, I’m looking for:
- Activitsts, entrepreneurs, innovators, connectors, artists and others from this area
- Interesting venues for our meetings (two groups: one 15 people, the other 45)
- One person, likely younger, who can coordinate activities on the ground here
- A local artist to design a couple of logos for the events
- A local source of gifts for my attendees
- A local T-shirt printer who can silkscreen those logos on nice tees
For now, off to the sessions.